Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Shower of Wedding Wishes

I'm the featured designer over at Card A Day Blog today and we're focusing on invitations this week.  It's great timing since we'll soon be having a little wedding shower for a co-worker and I'm in charge of the planning.  Two birds and all that...  Anyway, since it's a work party and the invitation will be sent via email and not snail mail, I created a hybrid invitation.

The Details:
  • The original invitation is handmade, of course.  The hybrid part comes in because I scanned the invitation and then added the Date/Time/Place information with my computer.  This way, everyone gets a beautiful electronic invitation, the party details can be added later and edited, the bride-to-be gets a handcrafted invitation as a keepsake, and I only had to make ONE invitation!  
  • Here's a photo of the original:  
  • You can see that I employed Liquid Pearls again as "raindrops".  Love that technique!
  • I also stamped, colored, and fussy-cut a bouquet for the bottom of the invitation.  I added Rock Candy Distress Stickles and drops of Liquid Pearls as accent. This bouquet is detail work that I would not have included if I was making 20+ paper invitations.  But I was free to add lots of details to the one original. 
 

Tips for Using Hybrid Invitations:
  • Scan at a high dpi.  You can always lower it later, but you want that initial scan to be crisp so that when you add your digital text it doesn't look crisper than the rest of the invitation.
  • Keep your design pretty flat.  Dimensional embellishments like flowers, buttons, thick chipboard layers, etc. will not scan well. 
  • If the occasion calls for paper invitations / snail mail, you can still employ a hybrid invite.  Just print multiples of your scanned original onto cardstock.

I hope that this time-saving tip comes in handy next time you have to do a lot of invitations!
Supplies:
Cardstock: Stampin’ Up! ‘Ultra Smooth White’
Patterned Paper:  Fancy Pants ‘Love’
Stamps: Glitz Designs ‘Dance in Sunshine’, ‘Beautiful Dreamer’
Inks: StazOn ‘Jet Black’; SU! craft ‘Taken with Teal’; Martha Stewart craft markers
Embellishments: Distress Stickles ‘Rock Candy’; Liquid Pearls ‘White Opal’; organza ribbon
Tools:  Tim Holtz paper distresser; needle; ink jet printer/scanner

8 comments:

  1. Vicki what a fabulous invite! This is just to sweet and a fantastic idea oh those raindrops as so special. It'll be perfect addition to the bride's wedding album. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this is so classy and one really amazing,and delicate invite,stunning detail bless you for playing at Creative Craft Challenge this week hugs Cherylxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why, but i have a thing for umbrellas I love them, lovely card, love the colours thank you for joining us at fashionista this week

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful invite and great tips on how to do multiples.

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing invi sweetie!!!
    Thanks for joining us at Creative Craft Challenges!!
    hugs
    xMx

    you can visit http://whenthescraphitsthefun.blogspot.com/
    for my free digis!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an amazing card, I love that umbrella.
    Thank you for joining us at Fashionista Challenge Blog, good luck and hope to see you again soon.
    Hugs
    Suzie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your beautiful card with us at Fashionista
    Wedding, Anniversary or Shower challenge.
    Teresa xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tip! And those raindrops are glorious! Sorry to pop over so late for a visit, my inlaws just left and now I have a few minutes free. Thank you for joining my Amusing Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!