'Cause no matter how far away you roam
If you want to be happy in a million ways
For the holidays you can't beat home, sweet home!
I know it seems a little early, but in our busy worlds, it's never too early to start on your handmade Christmas cards. And, this week's theme at Card A Day Blog is...you guessed it...Home for Christmas! Yet again, I was inspired by a wonderful vintage image found online. I think it was the quaint, fairy tale nature of the house and the starry night sky. It also has a 1970's-ish color scheme which was a fun challenge in itself.
- Just for something a bit different, I embossed my striped background paper with Swiss Dot embossing folder, distressed the edges, then inked the edges and the embossed dots with a bit of Walnut Stain Distress Ink.
- My printer was running out of colored ink when it got to this image so the color was a bit uneven. Distress Markers to the rescue! I touched things up with DMs and evened the light areas out with Old Paper DI...good to go.
- On a starry, starry Christmas night, you HAVE to have some sparkly snow and glowing windows! I used Frosted Lace Stickles on the snow and Icicle for the windows and lantern. This really gives the card that "something special".
- The fluffy seam binding is hand-dyed with Barn Door and a touch of Aged Mahogany Distress Stains. To pump up the red, I also added in some Festive Berries DI as my second layer of ink. I wish you could see it in person...it looks washed out in the close-up, but it's not...it's actually soooo rich and pretty.
- And of course, since we'll be home with bells on, I had to pin some jingle bells to the bow and add in a couple holly leaves.
- Tip for making your own holly leaves: I have to give my sister credit for this idea. I was wondering aloud why I ever bought a bulk package of some truly ugly floral leaves. They are dark green and shiny. My sister suggested cutting them like holly leaves and using them for Christmas projects. Is that genius or what!
Crafty Ann's Challenge Blog: #77 - Christmas in October
Crafty Ribbons Challenge: #31 - Christmas
ABC Christmas Challenge: U for Up to You
|Cardstock:||Papertrey Ink ‘Pure Poppy’|
|Patterned Paper:||My Mind’s Eye Lost & Found ‘Christmas’ 6x6|
|Image:||Catnip Studio Collage ‘Starry Night Christmas Card’|
|Inks:||Distress Ink ‘Old Paper’, ‘Walnut Stain’, ‘Festive Berries’; Distress Stain ‘Barn Door’, ‘Aged Mahogany’; Perfect Pearls Mist ‘Heirloom Gold’; Alcohol Ink ‘Mushroom’; Distress Markers|
|Embellishments:||Hug Snug seam binding ‘Ivory’; trinket pin; jingle bells; floral leaves; Stickles ‘Frosted Lace’, ‘Icicle’|
|Tools:||3M foam tape; Tim Holtz paper distresser; heat gun; Zots; decorative edge scissors; mister; foam ink blender; Cuttlebug embossing folder ‘Swiss Dot’; Sizzix Texture Boutique|