Sunday, October 9, 2011

Spooky Tree Ornament

I used this week's Spooky Tree digital stamp to create a macabe Halloween ornament.  Coloring the image was super quick and easy with the help of my Distress Stains.  And I like the eeiry look that the blending colors lend to the image.

The Details:
  • I printed my image on SU! Sahara Sand cardstock and gave it a coat of Krylon Workable Fixatif.  This is an important step when you plan on using markers, inks, or stains to color your printed images so that the printer ink does not smear.  Just be sure to spray it outside or in a well ventilated area.  I then adhered the image to a cardboard base and cut it out with my Coluzzle.
  • Starting in the center of the moon, I used a variety of Distress Stains in a circlular motion to color my creepy image.  I colored the owl with marker.
  • A section of Tim Holtz filmstrip, some spooky stamps from Basic Grey, and touches of stickles finished off the oval.  As a finishing touch, I added black and white baker's twine and a black crepe paper ruffle.
  • You may have noticed that the Black Soot Distress Stickle dots around the top right edge are not up to my usual standards.  Well, that would be the work of one Mr. Dodger who got up on my craft table to play with the crepe paper while I was upstairs cooking dinner.  By the time I realized it, the stickles were dry and I scraped away as much as I could, but darn those things stick well!  Bad kitty!! 


Supplies:
Paper
: SU! cardstock ‘Sahara Sand’
Image: ‘Spooky Tree’ digital stamp by Paper Squirrel
Stamps: Basic Grey ‘Spooky’, ‘Boo’
Inks: Distress Stains ‘Spiced Marmalade’, ‘Bundled Sage’, ‘Pumice Stone’, ‘Crushed Olive’; Martha Stewart craft markers; SU! craft ‘Ruby Red’; StazOn ‘Jet Black’
Embellishments: The Beadery hemp cord; TH filmstrip; Glossy Accents; Stickles ‘Lime Green’; Distress Stickles ‘Fired Brick’, ‘Black Soot’
Tools: Coluzzle; inkjet printer; Krylon Workable Fixatif; TH paper distresser; hole punch

3 comments:

  1. Turned out cute if if the Dodger added his own touches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool project- love the digi and I bet the kitty is tracking that excess glitter everywhere in your house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! Love the spooky blood drippings and the way you've used the filmstrip but not filled every single panel. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!