Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Queen of Hearts

My, how time flies!  This tag was supposed to be for the Simon Says Stamp and Show Kings & Queens challenge, but alas, it's past the deadline.  I think if I had 4-6 more hours in each day I might actually get some things accomplished...maybe even caught up!  LOL!

Anyway, I'm thinking of using this Queen of Hearts tag as a Valentine.  I know plenty of people who appreciate  an artistic tag!

Some Details:
  • I had a heck of a time figuring out how to color our royal highness to match the papers without looking garish.  Finally, I realized the key is to keep it simple.  Instead of starting with neutral card stock, I used Stampin' Up! Ruby Red and highlighted the embossed areas with Barn Door and Black Soot Distress Inks.  For some crown "jewels", I added some Fired Brick Distress Stickles and a stamped crown colored with Distress Stain and accented with Rock Candy Distress Stickles.
  • "Love" is part of the patterned paper, but to make it stand out against the background, I added Glossy Accents to the letters and Walnut Stain Distress Stickles to the border.
  • Glossy Accents and some foam tape really make these hearts "pop"!
  • Who says that doilies always have to be white?  I really wanted to incorporate a doily into this tag, but obviously, a bright white one was not working with my distressed color palette.  So, I experimented.  I used Pumice Stone Distress Stain as the base color, then applied layers of various neutral Distress Inks, then finally, some Black Soot Distress Ink with a foam ink blending tool.  I didn't think I needed another black ink pad, but my sister convinced me that she uses Black Soot all the time and so I finally purchased this color a few months ago.  She was right (don't tell her!), I use it much more than I thought I would.

Challenges:


Supplies:
Cardstock: Stampin’ Up! ‘Ruby Red’; manila tag
Pattern Paper: My Mind’s Eye Lost & Found ‘Union Square’, ‘Market Street’
Stamps: My Mind’s Eye Lost & Found Rosy ‘Everything’, Breeze ‘Dream’
Inks: Distress Ink ‘Old Paper’, ‘Black Soot’, ‘Tea Dye’, ‘Barn Door’; StazOn ‘Jet Black’; Distress Stain ‘Brushed Corduroy’, ‘Pumice Stone’; SU! craft ‘Ruby Red’, ‘Creamy Caramel’
Embellishments: paper baking doily; Distress Stickles ‘Rock Candy’, ‘Walnut Stain’, ‘Fired Brick’; Papertrey Ink baker’s twine; Tim Holtz texture fade ‘Queen of Hearts’; Glossy Accents

Tools: scallop scissors; TH paper distresser; Wondertape; Sizzix Texture Boutique; foam tape

7 comments:

  1. I just recently bought black soot because so many bloggers used it for great things. I had resisted since I had so many black ink pads. Glad to hear you didn't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tag, love the grungy look. I also found black soot recently but haven't managed to get it to look as fab as you have. Loving all the texture with the stickles and glaze.

    Thank you for sharing your wonderful work with us at Crafting When We Can Challenges. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for a project. Love your colors and the details.

    gym marketing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this embossing folder but I never thought of how to use it...I love your idea. Your tag is great. Thanks so much for taking part in this week’s Love challenge on Come and Get it Challenge Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty....love it!Thanks for joining us over at Crafting When We Can. Janet, DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. queen of hearts! love the idea you usedon this card. very impressive. keep posting please. i'll keep on visiting your post.
    quality website design

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!