Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Rose is a Rose...

When I saw this vintage rose image from Free Vintage Digital Stamps, I knew that I had to create something with it.  Such a gorgeous image!  I made my rose pink in honor of the pink roses I received for my birthday (from my valentine J).  Pink because "the red ones didn't look very good".  I love the pink and they smell divine!

A Couple Details:
  • I hadn't paper-pieced in a while and thought this was a great image for the technique and would also use up some scraps.  I printed it fairly large onto Stampin' Up! "Sahara Sand" card stock, then printed it three more times onto pink and green patterned scraps for the rose, front leaf / stem, and back leaf.  
    • TIP:  don't waste ink and paper by printing the entire image for one small section of piecing.  For the leaves, I cropped the image as small as possible to capture the leaf image.  
  • Since the rose is "drawn" in black, I accented with black elements throughout for drama.  It really makes that rose pop!
  • To make the tails of the seam binding bow into ringlets, I wrapped the seam binding around a pencil and held it under a heat gun for a few seconds.  Let cool, then remove the pencil.


Challenges:

Supplies:
Cardstock: Stampin’ Up! ‘Rose Red’, ‘Sahara Sand’
Pattern Paper: scraps; Making Memories spiral journaling page ‘5th Avenue’
Image: Free Vintage Digital Stamps 'Vintage Rose'
Stamps: SU! ‘All Year Cheer’, ‘French Script’
Inks: StazOn ‘Jet Black’; ‘VersaMark’; ‘Distress Stain ‘Victorian Velvet’, ‘Pumice Stone’; Perfect Pearls Mist ‘Heirloom Gold’
Embellishments: Hobby Lobby crochet lace; ribbon; Hug Snug seam binding; photo corners

Tools: ink jet printer; Stamp-a-ma-jig; heat tool; Wondertape

8 comments:

  1. WOW Vicki! This is gorgeous! It turned out fantastic!!! I have added it to FVDS Facebook and Pinterest for fabulous inspiration! xo

    -pamela ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Do you go by Vicki or Victoria? I wanted to make sure I have this correct for posting. xo

    -pamela ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela,
      LOL! I go by both, so either is just fine. Thanks for sharing the link!
      Vicki / Victoria :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi Victoria, such a wonderful card. The image is stunning and love your paper piecing. Thanks as well for the tip on how to get the ringlets on the seam binding - never thought of heating it! Now I'll just have to get some seam binding!!

    Thanks for joining in with us this week at Divas by Design. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very dramatic and striking card. Many thanks for also sharing that link too. Many thanks for playing along with Fab'n'Funky Challeges this week and hope to see you again soon.

    Lou
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just so gorgeous hun...!

    thanks for joining us at Divas....and good luck...!

    big hugs Vicky xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. OHHHH! This rose is GORGEOUS! LOVE the paper you used for it! THANKS for joining in the fun and playing along with us over at the RCC:)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!