My mom loves to sew and is an incredible quilter. She made many of our clothes when we were kids...until she went back to work when I started school. When I saw the "girl with pattern and dress form" image on Graphics Fairy, I knew it was perfect for my mom. Then, while touring Hobby Lobby yesterday, I found this lovely ruler twill tape (on sale!)...it was all coming together!
In addition to the sewing image and new twill tape, I was also inspired to try my hand at a technique highlighted by Julie over at A Vintage Chic. The layering she did was so detailed, but I decided I'd start with something pretty easy!
I used two images to create the layers, but depending on your image and how detailed you want to get, you could use several images.
The images are colored identically using SU! watercolor pencils and a water pen.
From left to right: complete image (base), background arm/pattern, forground girl/arm/pattern
The first layer is the whole image.
Second layer is the background arm / pattern. I glued the piece to a scrap of cardboard (from a cereal box...recycling!) and attached it to the base image. I didn't want this image to be too defined from the base.
At this point, I distressed all the edges with Vintage Photo Distress Ink using a foam blending tool.
Third layer is the girl with foreground arm / pattern. I glued this piece to a scrap of cardboard and attached it to the base image using foam tape. The foam tape adds extra thickness and dimension to this layer.
I distressed all the edges of the third layer with Vintage Photo DI.
The card is finished off with a SU! hand-stitched background stamp in Tattered Rose DI, layers of ruffled crepe paper and K&Co. floral pattern paper, the ruler twill tape (of course!), button, ribbon, and Papertrey Ink baker's twine.