Monday, September 5, 2011

Good-bye Summer!

I found this quote online and LOVE it!  It perfectly sums up the summer we've had here in Southeast Michigan.
"Summer is like the ultimate one-night stand..
hot as hell,
totally thrilling,
and gone before you know it."

It's Labor Day Weekend here in the States, which honors the working class and is our unofficial "end of summer".  :-(

To wrap up the season, I'm sharing a collage project that I completed in June and have had on display for most of the summer.  I had given you a sneak peek waaaay back, but here it is...finally!
(I know it's falling outside the lines, but you just couldn't see it very well otherwise...
Blogger needs a size option between Large and Extra Large!)
This Graphics 45 bathing beauty was my muse.  I knew that I wanted to feature her and red, white, and blue in the collage.  Everything else just fell into place...things that reminded me of great summers.  Swimming being one of them.  I love the water and can be an absolute fish!

"Summer" was cut using my Cricut and Sure-Cuts-A-Lot program.  I then embossed the letters with the Tim Holtz "Collage" Texture Fade and added layers of Distress Ink and Perfect Pearls mists until I achieved the depth and luster I desired.  Red, white, an blue are pretty much the colors of summer in the USA since we celebrate our Independence Day on July 4.  That's why I went after this color scheme...it just says "Summer"!  K&Co helped out quite a bit with some fun embellishments all from their "Americana" die cuts collection.

The flash card is from 7 Gypsies and the clock face is from Tim Holtz.  I'm not sure where I got the big mouth guy from, but thought he was the perfect addition.  A la a carnival emcee.

Another bathing beauty from Graphic 45.  A real bingo card from the dollar store (score!), some rhinestones and hand doodling for a touch of whimsy.  Also note that the star is surrounding the "4" on the bingo card in honor of July 4th.

Another bathing beauty, but this one from The Graphics Fairy.  Also some real ticket stubs from a scrapbooking event (but they could just as likely be from a county fair :-) ), more doodling and embellies.


Well, summer, that's a wrap. 
We will miss you...see you next year!

Challenges:

7 comments:

  1. Hello! LOVE your collage!!! So colorful, so vintage and so fun!!! Love the G45 images you used along with the good ol' red white and blue! All of your embellishments are wonderful! I especially got a chuckle out of the big mouth guy with Tim's clock face! GREAT! Thank you for sharing your work with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge.<3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your collage has a great Retro/Vintage feel. you put a lot of detail into this project! Thanks for sharing with our 1st Crafting When We Can Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! All the elements come together to feel like "summer". Great quote too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your collage is evocative of what a Summer should be bathing and playing games.

    Thank you for sharing your wonderful work with us at Crafting when we can challenges. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. your collage is wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a Butterfly award for you on my blog.
    http://digipage-blog.everything-digital-scrapbooking.com/2011/09/butterfly-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for entering our first challenge at Crafting When We Can! Hope to see more of your work in the weeks to come!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!