Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Let It Snow Pocket Ornament

Wow, the days to Christmas are just FLYING by!!!  I still have too many things on my "to do" list...ugh.

Every year, I give my niece and nephews a handmade ornament as part of their Christmas present...(knowing that they won't truly appreciate it until they are older and have a tree of their own).  Today I'm sharing the pocket ornament I made for my youngest nephew.  His was easy since he's only four...the older boys' ornaments were more of a challenge, but that's for another day.

Some Quick Details:
  • If you're a regular reader, I'm sure you've already guessed that the base on this is an empty toilet paper tube. 
  • I used some fun-colored My Mind's Eye papers and elements to cover the raw t.p. tube.
  • It's whip-stitched along the bottom with red and white baker's twine and layered up with a felt snowflake, an adorable snowman image, buttons, etc.
  • Deciding on filler for the pocket was a bit tricky.  I finally settled on some glittered holly sprigs and a piece of  silver "scarfing"...mainly because these elements work well here and on the ornaments for the older boys.

Challenges:
Creative Belli Blog: Belli Challenge #159 - Christmas
Simon Says Stamp:  Simon Says...Merry Christmas
Celebrate the Occasion: Challenge #93 - Christmas: Anything Goes
Flourishes: Timeless Tuesday #200 - Deck the Tree Trimmings
Simon Says Stamp & Show: Gift-spiration

Supplies:
Patterned Paper:  My Mind’s Eye ‘Winter Wonderland’ 6x6
Embellishments: Crafty Secrets Creative Scraps; Hobby Lobby felt snowflake; buttons; Darice baker’s twine ‘Red / White’; Bazzill Half the Edge ‘White’; ribbon; wire
Tools:  3M spray adhesive; hot glue; wire cutters; hole punch; glue dots
Misc: Empty toilet paper tube

7 comments:

  1. Vicky...your pocket Christmas ornament is so cute! I love that snowman! He's so retro! Takes me back to my childhood Christmases! The polka dot paper in the background is so cute! I also love the die cut snowflake behind your snowman! Cute idea and design! Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. Thanks so much for joining us at Celebrate The Occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these colors. Great gift bag. Thanks for playing along with the Merry Christmas challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cute. Thanks for sharing with us at CTO.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!