Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Birthday Cake Card

Sharing my example project using this week's Birthday Cake Wedge free digital stamp.  This card is bright and fun and features an easy technique to customize background paper to suit your project.

A Couple of Details:
  • First, I started with the cake.  I printed the image on Lemon Tart cardstock and colored it using watercolor pencils and an aqua pen.  To add some dimension, I added Stickles to the candle and flame and Glossy Accents on the outlines of the cake...this was done fast, I didn't want it to be too fussy.
  • While checking my stash for some coordinating background paper, I found this geometric pattern that had all the colors, except for the yellow, which was key.  No problem!  I pulled out a simple circle stamp and some yellow paint and now my background paper has ALL the colors I needed.
So next time you pull out that paper that is almost perfect...if it just had that other color...add it in paint!


Supplies:
Paper
: Papertrey Ink cardstock ‘Lemon Tart’; Stampin’ Up! ‘Pretty in Pink’; DCWV
Image: Birthday Cake Wedge digital stamp by Paper Squirrel
Stamps: SU! ‘It’s Your Birthday’, ‘Smile’
Inks: StazOn ‘Timber Brown’; Delta acrylic paint ‘Pale Yellow’
Embellishments: Glossy Accents; Stickles ‘Icicle’, ‘Crystal’

Tools: circle punch; ink jet printer; 3M foam tape; Fiskars corner rounder punch

2 comments:

  1. The geometric paper is a great background choice! Fun card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect color paper (Lemon Tart) for a yummy piece of cake!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!