Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Happy Hunting

A touch of Spring is in the air and the Easter bunny is on his way!  This week's theme over at Card A Day Blog is...you guessed it...Easter!


I loved hunting for Easter eggs as a kid.  Now understand, in mid-Michigan, it's usually too cold (sometimes snow) on Easter to hide the eggs in the yard...in fact I have no memories of doing so.  My mom (uh, I mean the Easter bunny!) would hide the eggs throughout the first floor of our house.  And these were REAL eggs.  Hard-boiled and hand-dyed REAL eggs.  The prize was finding the eggs, not money and candy inside plastic eggs.  These kids today...so spoiled!  J

Okay, now that I sound like a cranky elderly woman, let's get on with the card...

The Details:
  • A little dimension was achieved by layering a smaller piece of matching cardstock onto the card base.  Photo corners also add some dimension.
  • The subtle background was created by stamping the "Thoughts From the Past" Unity stamp vertically, twice, in white pigment ink, then embossing with clear powder.  This created an interesting effect...some areas look like a watermark and some look like milk glass.  Overall I like the effect, but truth be told, it's not what I expected.
  • Dear followers, I actually got out my sewing machine and stitched on this card!!  Can you believe it?  It's even pretty straight and I didn't completely chew up my paper.  I think I'll start doing this more often.  J
  • That gorgeous nest image is from The Graphics Fairy.  It's the same one I used on the Little Pink Houses, but you actually get full credit for it here.
  • Loving this pink pom pom trim!  I saw it at Archivers and had to purchase it...as if I needed more ribbon!  (Seriously, it's a sickness...I may have to change the name of the blog to Ribbon Squirrel if I keep this up.)
  • And finally, the "Happy Hunting" cardstock sticker was given a border of Old Paper Distress Stickles and the eggs were accented with various colors of Stickles.


Supplies:
Cardstock:
Papertrey Ink ‘Sweet Blush’
Image:
The Graphics Fairy
Stamps: Unity ‘Thoughts from the Past”
Inks: Stampin’ Up! craft ‘White’; Distress Ink ‘Old Paper’, ‘Tattered Rose’; Distress Stain ‘Victorian Velvet’
Embellishments: K&C music border; Karen Foster Designs cardstock sticker ‘Vintage Easter’; Distress Stickles ‘Old Paper’, ‘Frayed Burlap’, ‘Rock Candy’; Stickles ‘Patina’; American crafts ribbon; photo corners; Zing embossing powder ‘Clear’; Martha Stewart glitter ‘Crystal Fine’
Tools:  sewing machine; foam ink blending tool; heat gun; Wondertape

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic job! Love the stickles on the eggs and around the edge of the sentiment piece. Te graphic works well here. tfs. Yes, as a kid I hunted in the house to but we lucked out and had chocolate besides the eggs. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is GORGEOUS!!! LOVE that nest full of eggs and I also LOVE your subtle BG -- really adds a lot of interest to the card!!! Thanks so much for sharing with us @ My Sheri Crafts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card... love the details. Thanks for sharing this with My Sheri Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. too cute - the pom pom trim is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Easter card! So many wonderful details!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for joining speedy Fox and Friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great and gorgeous card! Love all the elements.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty card. Love the pom pom ribbon. Thanks for playing along with us here at Speedy Fox and Friends challenge, we hope to see you again next week. Make sure to check out our challenge with Friends of SpeedyTV for more fun and more chances to win with Mark's Finest Papers, a Heinrich Co.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!