Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Challenges Entry: Hello Card

Hello, hello...I don't know why you say good-bye, I say hello... 
Great, now that song is stuck in my head! :-)

I'm combining challenges again this week with this Hello card:  Grungy Monday 13:  Alcohol Inks & Simon Says Stamp & Show a Word.

The Details:
  • I've had Ranger's Gloss Paper for a loooong time, but hadn't experimented with it yet.  When I saw this week's GM13 challenge, I knew it was the perfect time to bust it open.  I have to say, Tim Holtz made it look really easy to get a gorgeous background with just a few drops of alcohol ink and a felt blender in his tutorial.  I, however, ended up with a splotchy, ugly mess.  Maybe I was working too large for my first go.  Or, I don't have the magical powers of Tim.  But, I was NOT going to be defeated by a piece of paper!  I blended, I pounced, I blended and pounced some more.  Then, in desperation, I just dribbled the ink directly onto the paper...and ahhh, success!  I love the effect of the ink blots!
  • The flowers and "Hello" are stamped using StazOn Jet Black.  Make sure to always use a permanent ink when stamping on glossy paper.  Press gently and take care...the ink wants to slide on the slick surface and you could easily end up with a smeared image.  Which would be a real bummer after all that blending and pouncing!
  • The rhinestone flower centers were originally clear, but I used alcohol ink again to color them to match.

Supplies:
Paper
: PTI cardstock ‘Kraft’; Ranger Gloss Paper; scrap background paper
Stamps: K&Co Amy Butler ‘Lotus Flower’; SU! crackle background; Inkadinkado
Inks: Alcohol Ink ‘Aqua’, ‘Sandal’, ‘Mushroom’, ‘Salmon’, ‘Red Pepper’, ‘Oregano’; Alcohol Blending Solution; StazOn ‘Jet Black’; SU! Craft ‘Tempting Turquoise’
Embellishments: rhinestones; Making Memories ‘Animal Crackers’ chenille rick rack

Tools: felt ink blending tool; adhesive; tweezers; TH paper distresser; stapler & staples

16 comments:

  1. Great job on the technique! Love the colours you used! Great design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card. Love the colors and how the black flowers look against them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh pretty and bright ;0)

    Love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the ink blots!!! The colored rhinestones are fab as well....and that fuzzy ric-rac...<3. Pretty Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the effect you achieved with the ai's! I always have a horrible time with them. Your light and airy background is just perfect. Love your stapled ric rac too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the splotchy watercolor look with the crisp images over! Beautiful work : )

    Thanks so much for entering the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!!!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. your background turned out great - a happy card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo for the determination. I thin k there are no mistake in art. We can always turn things around! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card, the background looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So - if all else fails - dribble! Your card looks spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great card, love the colours you used.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just lovely - a very soft but also modern feel - love those colours together!!!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your background is the coolest. Soft and dreamy with great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful job with the alcohol inks. I love using them because you can alter so many things with them. Very cool the way that you used it on the rhinestones and that ric rac is awesome! So happy you joined in the fun with us this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!