Sunday, July 10, 2011

Challenge Entry: Destination Unknown Tag

Showing off my entry in this week's Simon Says Stamp & Show a Flourish challenge.  I love flourishes, so this one was really fun!
I came across this image of a lovely, albeit naughty looking, vintage showgirl  in my stash.  She looked so wistful, like she was wondering how she got where she was and where she was going...Destination Unknown.

The Details:
  • I pulled a scrap of bold, black and tan flourish paper from the stash and started layering.  Vellum to tone it down a touch and give me a place to stamp.  Tissue tape for interest.  Distress Inks to make it more vintage-y.
  • I stamped a flourish in gold and silver where the bottom of the vellum meets the background paper, but it blurred considerably when I applied the Distress Inks.  That was okay though, because I didn't really like it.  I wanted a big, bold flourish, so I covered a raw chipboard flourish in gold and silver metallic inks, a touch of Vintage Photo DI, and three layers of UTEE.  The gold and silver pigment lift and get captured in the UTEE creating a wonderful effect that looks like metal leaf.  To accent the flourish even more (much like our showgirl's outfit), I added smoky quartz rhinestones and dots of Old Paper and Frayed Burlap Distress Stickles.
  • I wanted some fringe on this tag...it was calling out for fringe!  Since I didn't have any fringe that would look right, I made my own out of wide organza ribbon.  I simply cut the ribbon into small strips leaving a solid border at the top to hold it all together.  I then added some Frayed Burlap Stickles to the fringes and at the edge of the tag for a little sparkle.
  • I also added some Old Paper Distress Stickles to her headdress and outfit.  Isn't it just gorgeous?!  The outfits and details in old photographs just amaze me.


Supplies:
Paper
: manila tag, scrap background paper, SU! vellum
Image: Image Compilation & Enhancement ‘The Lady’s Closet’
Stamps: 7 Gypsies ‘Travel’; Inque ‘Ornaments’
Inks: Encore Ultimate Metallic ‘Gold’, ‘Silver’; StazOn ‘Jet Black’; DI ‘Old Paper’, ‘Vintage Photo’
Embellishments: Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel (UTEE); rhinestones; TH tissue tape ‘Nostalgia’; Making Memories chipboard flourish; Distress Stickles ‘Old Paper’, ‘Frayed Burlap’; photo corners; ribbon

Tools: foam ink blending tool; embossing powder tray; tweezers; vellum tape

1 comment:

Your comments make my day!