Saturday, July 2, 2011

Challenge Entry: Wish Shoe Well

June's theme at Gingersnap Creations was "At the Mall" and I am WAY behind on my challenge submissions for this fun subject.  Luckily, I still have some time to submit.  This "Wish Shoe Well" birthday card is for GC106:  Spicy Supply - Packaging Materials

The Details:
  • I bought a new pair of sneakers a few months ago and the box was lined by surprisingly pretty polka dot webbing.  I of course stashed it away and when I saw the supply challenge was packaging materials, I knew exactly what I wanted to use.  I use packaging in my art all the time, so this wasn't really stepping out for me, but it's always fun to challenge yourself to use a new material and webbing was definitely new to me.  And since I was using a shoe image, I thought shoe box liner was perfect!
  • I used Matte Mod Podge to adhere the webbing in a textured manner, then used my heat gun to carefully melt just a few areas to enhance the wrinkles.
  • The "flower" is also made from the webbing.  I folded the webbing so I had 8 layers, then cut a rough circle.  I stacked the layers offset from each other, then basted the center with clear thread.  I then sewed the button on using crochet thread.  To ruffle the petals, I again used my heat gun to carefully melt the petals toward the center.  Sometimes the layers would fuse together, but I just pulled them apart and the fluffiness seemed even better when this happened.

Supplies:
Paper
: PTI cardstock ‘Aqua Mist’; SU! cardstock ‘Confetti White’; DCWV cardstock
Stamps: SU! ‘Steppin’ Style’, ‘Beyond the Basics’
Inks: StazOn ‘Jet Black’; SU! Craft ‘White’; Martha Stewart craft markers
Embellishments: button; sparkle crochet thread

Tools: foam tape; Matte Mod Podge; mini mister; tweezers; needle; thread; scissors; heat gun; glue dots
Misc: Ryka shoe box liner

8 comments:

  1. very nice Vicki!! Like how you used the paper from the shoe box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a smart thing to use for the packaging challenge. Love the blue flower center mimicking the polkadots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to recycle, just darling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun that you up-cycled shoe packaging for a fun shoe card .... so glad you joined us for creating with packing materials at Gingersnap Creations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great card! I don't think I've ever found such pretty paper in any sneakers I've purchased lol! That webbing looks fun. Thanks for playing along with us at Gingersnap Creations :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!