As I was cruising the gardening aisles at my local Christmas Tree Shops a few weeks ago, the peat pots caught my eye. Hmmm, I thought, less than $2 for a dozen...nice kraft color...nice size...I think I can work with these... And I have! Unlike so much of my stash, they haven't languished in the studio waiting for the "perfect" project. I made my mom, sisters, and self some cute Easter decor with them and they called my name yet again when my mom gave me a vintage image from an old fridge calendar. I love up-cycling!
- Here you can see the close up of the DI layers and the French script.
- Next, I took my other bargain find--crepe paper--and added a ruffle to the top of the pot. The ruffle overhangs the end by about 1/4 inch.
- I've done the ruffle with both hot glue and Monoadhesive and I have to say, I much prefer the adhesive tape method! Cleaner, safer, and a neater result.
- After the ruffle was added, I lightly added Tattered Rose DI and then tapped just the edges with Barn Red DI.
- Next, I filled a mini mister with watered down walnut ink and misted the entire ruffle, then tapped the paper down in places to fill it out and give it a more messy appearance. This also bleeds the Barn Red DI into the paper a bit...nice effect.
- Then to hold the pleats down, I glued some crocheted lace ribbon around the ruffle.
- To balance the weight of the pot, I dropped a rock in the bottom and then cut dry floral foam to fit the pot.
- I distressed the edges of the image/cardboard combination with Vintage Photo DI using a foam blending tool.
- To add dimension, I glued Papertrey Ink's leaf ribbon around the trellis. After some trial and error, I found that mini glue dots worked the best for this application.
- Next, I applied Tattered Rose Distress Stickles along the edges of the entire image. This hides your raw edge and adds that lovely bit of vintage sparkle!
- At this point, I felt like the pot was a little bland compared to the top, so I added some pearls and voile! Finished!
I know that this seems like a big fussy project, but really, it's pretty simple and goes quickly. So don't be scared by all the bullet points and pictures, okay? :-)Supplies:
Paper: SU! ‘Blush Blossom’ card stock
Stamps: SU! ‘French Script’ background, ‘Itty Bitty Backgrounds’; 7 Gypsies ‘Family’
Inks: StazOn ‘Timber Brown’; Distress Inks ‘Vintage Photo’, ‘Tattered Rose’, ‘Crushed Olive’, ‘Barn Door’, ‘Forest Moss’; Alcohol Ink ‘Mushroom’; walnut ink
Embellishments: PTI Leaf Ribbon; crocheted lace; crepe paper; Darice flowers; organza ribbon; pearls; Tim Holtz Memo Pin; Distress Stickles ‘Tattered Rose’; large pearl floral stamen
Tools: kitchen knife; water pen; mini mister; foam blending tool; hot glue gun
Misc: peat pot; floral wire; wire cutter; needle nose pliers; 3M Super 77 spray adhesive; stone; dry floral foam; cardboard; glue dots; reindeer moss; Tombo Monoadhesive